Fresh Fruit Smoothie



This is an anytime smoothie but I love having it for breakfast.  It's a fresh and sure way to get loaded up with vitamins.  If your kids are picky eaters even when it comes to fruit this is a great way to slip some in when they aren't paying attention.  Most kids will drink a smoothie without knowing whats in it.

I use frozen blueberries and I also freeze my banana.  I buy the smallest bananas I can find and just put a bunch in the freezer and take one out when I make my smoothie.  As you can see in the picture this is a fresh banana because when you freeze them the skin turns black and that wouldn't look very appetizing for the picture.  The blueberries and banana need to be frozen to make the smoothie thick.   After you drink one you just feel like you put something wonderfully delicious and healthy into your body.  It's light and refreshing yet filling.

Smoothie 

1/2 heaping cup watermelon
1/2 heaping cup cantaloupe
4 oz. strawberry yogurt (I use the extra small cartons of Dannon Light and Fit. They usually come in a group package but you could use plain or another flavor if you choose)
1 small frozen sliced and peeled banana
1/4 heaping cup frozen blueberries

Put the watermelon, cantaloupe and yogurt in the blender first and then on top add the sliced frozen banana and blueberries. This is easier on the blender and easier to blend.  Blend until smooth.

*TIP - I have learned since I posted this recipe that instead of freezing the whole banana which I used to do that you can freeze the slices and they will not turn brown.  What you do is peel and slice the banana and lay a single layer on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer until they freeze (about a half hour) and then put them in a zip lock bag. This is a great way to save bananas from over ripening on the counter. Also a great snack in the summer, yep, frozen banana slices. I do this with grapes too, yep frozen grapes. Very refreshing when it's hot.

YUM!  Makes me want to have one just talking about it.

Comments

Stacie said…
Mmmmmm. I also like throwing a kiwi into my morning smoothie. Good tip on the bananas - I just keep them out, but I use ice to keep the smoothie thick and cold. I'm trying this one!!!