Chilled Cantaloupe Soup


I told you on a post I did a while ago that we have wonderful chilled soups when we cruise and I was going to try some this summer.  Well, here is the first one I tried and I really like it.  They are super simple to do and a great snack, lunch or a first course for a dinner.  It was our anniversary on the 6th and I wanted to make dinner instead of going out.  I made it super simple and light.  The emphasis is on super simple.  I'm serving the hubby this chilled soup while the filet mignon is on the grill.  With the filet we are having a mixed green and chopped veggie salad with large homemade croutons.  That's it.  I told you it was light.  I didn't even bake a dessert.  He loves ice cream and can't eat it that often so it's Cherry Garcia ice cream with my hot fudge sauce and a dab of whipped cream.  Perfect. 



Chilled Cantaloupe Soup

1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons honey
fresh grated nutmeg (about 8 grates of a fresh nutmeg)
1 tablespoon lemon zest
4 cups coarsely chopped cantaloupe (that's about one cantaloupe, depending on size)
4 tablespoons whipping cream (not whipped)
mint to garnish if you like.

1. Place the butter, honey, nutmeg and lemon peel in a small bowl.
2. Microwave until fully melted.
3. Stir to blend.
4. Scrape mixture into food processor or blender with spatula.
5. Add melon chunks and puree until smooth.
6. Stir in cream.
7. Transfer to bowl, cover and chill thoroughly in the refrigerator, for at least two to three hours.
8. Stir and serve, garnish if desired.

Makes about 4-3/4 cup servings. 

Tip* A fun thing to do is serve it like a gazpacho if you are having a buffet or barbecue.

Comments