Bratten's Clam Chowder

I have updated this recipe now with just one more can of clams and less salt. We love it so much I thought I would repost it again since I have been making it much longer than my posting in 2012. The weather is cooling down and you will be ready for a steaming bowl of chowder.

If you have lived in or around Salt Lake City in the 70's and 80's you will remember Bratten's Seafood Grotto. It was a Utah hot spot. They had the best clam chowder and the recipe is still around long after the restaurant has closed it doors. According to several websites this is the real deal recipe and not a copycat. I really don't know about that, all I know is it's really good and easy to make. If you live in an area of the country where the snow flies you will be wanting to make this recipe.



Ingredients:
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup diced celery
3 cups diced potatoes
4 - 6.5 oz. cans minced clams (I used Snow's) and the juice.
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt (You can add more if you want after you have finished making it, everyones taste is different.)
1 dash pepper
1 quart half-and-half (can use low fat or fat free and it works well but I didn't)

Directions:
1. Chop onions, potatoes and celery and put in medium sauce pan.

2. Drain juice from clams and pour over vegetables in small sauce pan; simmer over medium heat until barely tender.

3. While the vegetables are cooking, melt butter in large pot, add flour, salt, pepper and blend, stirring constantly.

4. Add half & half and cook and stir with wire whisk constantly until smooth and thick.

5. Add UNDRAINED vegetables, clams and heat through.

6. Season more if you want, to your liking.

Comments