Thanksgiving Rolls



This recipe is all over the blogs so I thought I would give them a try. It's supposed to be the copycat recipe for Texas Roadhouse Rolls, which I love. They really turned out so delicious but I think the TRH Rolls are just a tad sweeter. I know this because I tried one last time I was there without the honey butter. Of course again there is the out to dinner factor when everything tastes better because you didn't have to make it. None the less, I will make these again and may even replace my go to roll recipe with these because they were so easy to make.

Ingredients:

4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups whole milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
3 Tablespoons melted butter, slightly cooled
1/2 cup sugar
7 to 8 cups all purpose flour
2 eggs
2 teaspoons salt.

Dissolve yeast in warm water with a teaspoon of sugar; let stand until frothy.

Combine yeast mixture, milk, 1/2 cup sugar and enough flour to make a medium batter (about the consistency of pancake batter, count your flour because this is part of your 7 to 8 cups). Beat thoroughly.

Add melted butter, eggs and salt. Beat well. Add rest of flour a cup at a time to form a soft dough. I used the dough hook on my Kitchen-Aid to knead this for about 4-5 minutes. Knead dough by hand if you don't have one until smooth.  Grease bowl and add dough and cover (I use a light dish towel) and let rise until double in bulk.

Punch down.

Turn onto a floured board. Divide into portions and shape into desired forms. I just rolled with a rolling pin very lightly about an inch to inch and a half or so in thickness and cut into squares. About 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch for small and 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 for big rolls. Depending on the size you cut the rolls you should have two to three dozen.

Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (You could grease the pan if you have no parchment paper). Let rise covered until doubled.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes depending on size until golden brown. After baking, baste immediately with butter.




Comments

Kathryn said…
I am current obsessed with which rolls to make for T-day this year. I'm gonna test these tomorrow. They do,look awesome.
Kathy said…
Thanks. Let me know how they turn out.