Blackberry Almond Shortbread Cookies





What to do on a snowy day but make cookies. All my decorating is done so why not bake something. Believe it or not I have never made shortbread thumbprint cookies before. Usually when I think of a Christmas cookie I think of spices and candied fruit but you see these quite often so why not give them a try. I'm not too fond of almond flavoring and I didn't want the flavor to be overbearing so I only added a dash to the glaze along with vanilla and I really liked the outcome. Put this one on the list.


Ingredients for shortbread:
1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
seedless blackberry jam, or other jam of your choosing.
sugar for sprinkling

Ingredients for glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons milk
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

In bowl of stand mixer cream butter. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until combined. Add flour and mix until ingredients all come together into ball.  If you are using a hand mixer you may have to finish mixing with a wooden spoon. Mixture will be stiff.

This is when you put the cookie dough in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Shape balls into 1-inch balls and dent the middle with thumb or I use a bent knuckle.  I think it makes a nicer hole.  Don't press too hard. Spoon 1/4 teaspoon of the jam into each indentation and then sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 12 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack and make the glaze combining all ingredients together and vigorously stir until blended and creamy. Wait until cookies are totally cooled to drizzle glaze.

Makes 2 dozen.

Comments