Kathy's Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup




Still feels like summer outside but I just wanted a little taste of fall. This soup is fabulous especially if you like butternut squash and it has a hint of sweetness with the apples, seasoned perfectly and just the right consistency with the cream. Will definitely make this again and again. It's so easy in the crockpot because you don't have to babysit it. As I said below you can put this in a stand blender when cooked but an immersion blender is really nice to use. I find many uses for mine. I have a Cuisinart Smart Stick and I love it. I had another brand and I really didn't think it did the job but my Cuisinart is perfect.






INGREDIENTS:
1 whole butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cubed)
2 apples (peeled, seeded and cubed)
5 leaves of fresh sage
1/4 onion (diced)
pinch of cinnamon
sprinkle of celery seeds
sprinkle of salt & pepper
2 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream

DIRECTIONS:
Peel, seed, and cube squash and apples. Put into crockpot and add sage, onion, celery seeds, butter, brown sugar and chicken stock. Salt and pepper as much as you choose.

Put crockpot on low for 6 hours or on high 3 hours. I do the high setting. Cream with immersion blender or stand blender. Watch out not to burn yourself.  After blending this is when you can add the cream and blend by hand. You can also put a swirl of sour cream or other garnishes as desired when you serve it.

Makes about 6 cups depending on the size of squash you use.





Comments