Date Nut Bread




I have always loved date bread. My Mom used to make it when I was little but sorry to say I don't have her recipe. She would always make it in the fall or around Christmas. Most date bread recipes are pretty similar but I really like this one. I might even try this recipe to make a fruitcake. I know most people don't like fruitcake but I love it and since I usually can't buy it because most have walnuts and I'm allergic to them, I will make my own with pecans.  I'll just add a cup or so of candied fruit and voila, fruitcake.

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups chopped pitted dates
4 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray loaf pan, 8 1/2 X 4 1/2. It's ok if you don't have the exact size or you can use 3 mini loaf pans.

In a large bowl, combine the chopped dates, butter and baking soda. Pour in the boiling water, stir and let stand for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes use a whisk to beat the sugar, pecans, and eggs into the prepared date mixture; set aside.

In another bowl whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the date mixture and whisk until just blended. Add vanilla and mix in.

Spoon the batter into prepared pan and bake until the tester or toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes for the regular size loaf pan or 35-40 minutes for the mini loaf pans.

When baking is complete let the pan cool for 15 minutes and turn loaf out onto a cooling rack. Let cool.

When cool wrap in hand wrap so it stays soft and oh so moist. Enjoy!


Comments