Spinach Ice Cubes



I bet you are thinking what in the world would I use spinach ice cubes for, well, a smoothie of course. I usually buy a big plastic container of organic baby spinach at Costco and use a handful in my smoothies no matter what kind I make. I use so much spinach in smoothies and salads yet I always end up getting rid of a little because it has wilted and gone bad. For those that don't like the taste of spinach let me tell you that you really can't taste it and it adds so much nutrition to any smoothie. It is especially good for fussy kids and they won't even know you put it in there. 

I happened to see how to do this on line so thought I would try it. Let me tell you that I will always do this now because it is so convenient when putting smoothies together. I am even slicing strawberries and freezing them to use. I've learned preparation is everything so you can quickly throw everything in a blender and bam, there you have it.

I have a Blendtec blender that I love and use that all the time. So all you do is put about a half a cup of water in the bottom of the blender and start adding spinach to it. At first it seems like it doesn't want to blend but just pause your blender and keep adding spinach and then it will start blending. I usually divide the box of spinach in half and fill an ice cube tray and then do it again.  Freeze and when the cubes are frozen throw them in a gallon ziplock freezer bag. So you will need 2 ice cube trays. These are very concentrated cubes so I usually only use one in a smoothie.

My favorite go to smoothie contains, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, a banana, 5 or 6 slices frozen strawberries, 1 cup frozen blueberries, a spinach ice cube, and a squirt on raw honey. If you want it a little thicker add a few more pieces of frozen fruit or if you want it thinner add more milk or juicy fresh fruit.

The wonderful thing about making smoothies is that you can add any fruit or veggies and experiment and find out what you like the best. I have a few listed under smoothies on the blog. Have fun and experiment. It's an easy way to shove in a lot of nutrition for your body. It will thank you!

Comments